Presiding Bishop Michael B. Curry's congratulates the people of St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Duluth on their 150th Anniversary:
Celebrating 150 years of loving God and our neighbors!
The strength and longevity of St. Paul's comes not from it's strong stones and glass, but from the people over these past 150 years who have been the foundation and life of St. Paul's! We had a wonderful weekend of celebrations October 25-27, 2019. Enjoy the photos of the festivities below taken by Matthew Denney:
Remembering the first service held in St. Paul’s Church on December 25, 1869 This Christmas we will remember and honor the 150th anniversary of the first church service held in the original St. Paul’s Episcopal Church on Lake Avenue and 2nd Street. It was held on Christmas Day, 1869. Newspaper accounts recall “Christmas Day was spent in Duluth appropriately, but soberly. The Episcopal Church (it wasn’t named St. Paul’s until a year later, it was just called Jay Cooke’s church) was the principal scene of attraction in the morning- a good audience attending the first formal services of worship in the new structure. …We congratulate all our citizens upon having already one completed church in Duluth; and it is a real gem..” Special thanks to Bob Silverness for his research and Carrie Miller, the Altar Guild and Bruce Sederberg who are making plans to recreate some of the decorations that were used in 1869. It will be a beautiful sight, and the smell of fresh pine will be wafting through the sanctuary! There will also be a special surprise for children similar to what was distributed in the early years of St. Paul’s. A second collection will be taken to benefit CHUM at all Christmas Eve and Christmas Day services in gratitude for 150 years of St. Paul’s and in remembrance of the forebearers who collected funds at the Christmas services and distributed them to the needy. Our bells will ring out at the beginning and ending of the services as well; as they did 150 years ago. Some of the hymns that will be sung at the services will be the same ones sung 150 years ago. Join us to remember and celebrate the birth of Jesus and 150 years of St. Paul’s.
Sesquicentennial Dinner, High Tea and 150th Anniversary Worship Service
Photos of the 150th GIFT Night, History Walk, Proclamation of St. Paul's Episcopal Church Day in the City of Duluth, and Children's Activities taken by Sue Van Oss:
The Original St. Paul's
St. Paul's Episcopal Church was the first church building in Duluth, a wooden structure located at Lake Avenue and Second street downtown. and the first service was held on Christmas Day 1869. In 1911 the congregation announced their desire to erect a new church building in it's present location at 1710 East Superior Street. The New York City architect firm of Cram, Goodhue and Ferguson designed the new church in a Gothic Revival style; similar to Canterbury Cathedral in England. It was crafted of local stone with beautiful stained glass, slate roof and limestone trim. In 1998 a $1.35 million renovation project was completed.
From Lost Duluth: Landmarks, Industries, Buildings, Homes and the Neighborhoods in Which They Stood by Tony Dierckins and Maryanne C. Norton (Zenith City Press, 2012)